Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

No Excuses!

I'm posting "Top Excuses to Not Run - And How to Beat Them" because I'm sure I will think of all of these eventually and I have to talk myself out of it. My current commentary on these is written below each in italics.

These were originally found here: http://running.about.com/od/motivation/tp/topexcuses.htm - so thanks for letting me permanently borrow them.

1. "I Don't Have Time to Run."

Lack of time is one of the most popular excuses for skipping runs. But squeezing in your workouts may not be as impossible as you think. Instead of watching TV for 30 minutes, put on your running shoes and get moving. Or, divide your run up between the morning and evening -- your body still gets mostly the same benefits.

 Shockingly, I have not used this as an excuse yet. I will be out of town for three days later this week though and don't want to run in an unfamiliar city - so I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get around that, because I'm determined to keep up with my every other day pace.

2. "I'm Too Tired to Run"

When you're feeling sluggish, it's hard to get motivated to get up off the couch and out the door. But going for a run will energize you and make you feel better. You may be tired because you have low blood sugar, so eat a snack or light meal at least an hour before running. If you find yourself feeling really tired as you start your run, start off by walking and then pick it up slowly. Extreme tiredness with a normal sleep schedule may be a sign of a nutritional deficiency, such as low iron, so talk to your doctor if you find yourself frequently feeling tired.

THIS is my favorite excuse so far. I quickly figured out that I do better when I run in the mornings, but there are some mornings where I just do NOT want to get out of bed. I had blood work done recently due to me always being tired/low-energy and of course, all my blood work came back fine, so I have no excuse there. I have now been on a low-dose anti-depressant for a few months and I'm not sure if I'm benefiting or not - I still feel like I have low energy all the time. But my mom and my boyfriend have apparently noticed positive changes, and they know me best. Plus, I don't think that I would have ever attempted C25K before, or have stuck with it for more than a day or two. Now I'm getting off track... but yes, this is my favorite excuse. I always feel more energized after I run though, but I haven't been eating beforehand. May try to eat a power bar or something and see if that is helpful. I usually take a drink of water and head out the door.

 

3. "I Get Bored Easily."

It's easy to get stuck in a running rut. We get comfortable running the same routes or it's easier to just jump on the treadmill. Shake up your running routine by mapping out some new routes using tools such as MapMyRun. Or, sign up for some local races -- it will force you to run someplace different and it'll help get you motivated.

No boredom here... running is totally my new passion right now. I google questions and tips about it almost daily and I would love to get a treadmill but I have nowhere to put one! The nearest gym is 30 minutes away and I have no time or money to travel there, plus it's just not possible with Brady. I am currently taking the same outdoor route, but I like taking the same way because I get excited when I go farther than I did the time before.

 

4. "I'm Just Not Motivated to Run."

All runners go through some periods when they're lacking motivation. One smart way to get inspired to keep running is to find a running group. When you know other people are counting on you to be at a workout, you're more likely to show up. And the social interaction and competition that comes with group training also help boost your motivation. 
 
I have motivation for sure... I want to be toned! I want to be in shape for the first time ever! I have a bridesmaid dress to wear in September and it fits, but it is soooo snug - I would like for it to fit better, maybe even without Spanx! Is that possible? Haha. I have Catherine, my co-worker, to help motivate me but we live too far away to actually run together, plus she's been doing this for two years so I could never match her pace. 
 
 

5. "It's Too Cold (or Hot) Outside."

I always tell runners, "There's no such thing as bad weather -- just bad clothes." In other words, if you're dressed properly and prepared to deal with less-than-ideal running weather, you can still go for a run -- and actually enjoy it. Get tips and precautions to take for running in the cold, heat, and rain.  
 
It was beastly hot here recently and I actually skipped an extra day because of it. When the weather didn't let up, I just decided to run even earlier than I usually do and was out the door the next day by 5:30. I don't care what the links on the about website say, I can't run in extreme heat. Humidity kicks my ass. I've never dealt with heat well and I can't see me running in winter with ice on the roads either. I live in Wisconsin, yo. You might end up coming to my house and seeing a treadmill in the middle of my kitchen, because I don't know where else I'd put it.

6. "I'm Busy With My Kids."

As a mother, I know how tough it can be to fit in a run when you're busy caring for your family. But it's important for you -- and your kids -- that you get a chance to do something you enjoy that makes you feel good. Try to make running more a priority in your life and be a little selfish. Schedule your runs and get your spouse on board so you get help with some of the child-care responsibilities. And get creative and take advantage of opportunities to run. For example, if you're watching your kid's soccer game, run some laps around the field before or even during the game. 
 
This used to be my #1 excuse. Now I just do it before Brady wakes up, because when we tried to run together (well, him on his bike and me jogging) it was a miserable disaster for both of us. He's too fast, mom's too slow.

7. "I'm Too Self-Conscious to Run in Public"

Feeling embarrassed about running in public is a common reason why people don't get started or continue with running. Try not to worry about what others think! You should be proud of yourself for getting out there and doing something so healthy.  Runners actually love seeing others out on the roads or trails. Also, remember that everyone started as a new runner at some point, so they can relate to the struggles that beginners face. And any non-runner who criticizes someone for a healthy habit like running is probably just jealous or feels bad that they aren't running. Wearing the right clothes for running may make you feel more confident and comfortable when running in public.

I still worry that I run like a dumbass... I mean, I've never done this before, I don't really know if my form is wrong or what. But with my preference of running early in the morning I don't really see many people - a definite plus. You don't want to see my pale, sweaty ass huffing and puffing while I'm jogging slower than you are walking. Yep, I have hideous self esteem issues but I did buy some cute running clothes that I couldn't afford, so at least it has nothing to do with what I wear while I run.

So the moral of this long entry is that I'm not letting myself have any excuses. Look at me blog, folks.


No comments: